Shield Block

Comment on the latest changes, State of the Isles addresses, game suggestions, or anything else you'd like to share with the creators and designers of Shattered Isles!
Sea Worthy
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 4

Shield Block

Post by Sea Worthy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:37 am

Shield block appears to reset your auto-target/knock you out of combat. Not sure how this could be "working as intended," and I hope it's not.
I feel like this was an old problem, but I don't see it reported on the forums...

Example:

A swirling globe of water begins to materialize before you. The globe of water crashes into a hooded flusherman, exploding with a splash!

The globe of water is a nice strike (69).

>cast globe

You block a hooded flusherman's attack with a dented tin shield!

You don't see them here.

Swamp Ape
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shield Block

Post by Swamp Ape » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Are you doing that much damage?

Sea Worthy
Citizen of Archai

Post by Sea Worthy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:41 pm

no of course not. I changed it to "69" "Nice" meme. xD
And I changed it for good reason, because people are inherently nosey and will meta that shit. Clearly the thing you paid most attention to was the damage done and not the issue of dropping combat/losing my target on a block.

Belanna
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Belanna » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:16 am

from what I have experienced- blocking their first attack will not put you -in combat-
Not until they get a successful or near success(a swing and a miss) will it put you into combat for you to have an auto target.
Later blocks shouldn't drop you out though.
Usually my first two attacks are targeted and that generally covers any initial blocks so I can then just cast globe/pray strike/k/etc.
If the enemy does get the first swing you are usually good to go though.
I don't know if that was intended or not either, but if you are just trying to move through a low level area quickly it can keep you out of combat status.

Belanna of House Kojin, Priestess of Lord Pyrous

Swamp Ape
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Swamp Ape » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:26 am

I had no response to your shield problem. Therefore I did not sdress it. So why include the damage at all? If someone was doing THAT much damage in the academy it would be an issue itself. Nothing to do with meta anything.

Sea Worthy
Citizen of Archai

Post by Sea Worthy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:10 am

Swamp Ape wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:26 am
I had no response to your shield problem. Therefore I did not sdress it. So why include the damage at all? If someone was doing THAT much damage in the academy it would be an issue itself. Nothing to do with meta anything.
I included the context to show that it was in combat and then changed the damage to make light of the situation. Gavial brains do not understand humor, I'm told...
While not on a regular basis, I have punched for over 90 damage a handful of times.
Belanna wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:16 am
from what I have experienced- blocking their first attack will not put you -in combat-
Not until they get a successful or near success(a swing and a miss) will it put you into combat for you to have an auto target.
Later blocks shouldn't drop you out though.
Usually my first two attacks are targeted and that generally covers any initial blocks so I can then just cast globe/pray strike/k/etc.
If the enemy does get the first swing you are usually good to go though.
I don't know if that was intended or not either, but if you are just trying to move through a low level area quickly it can keep you out of combat status.
I suppose this concept makes sense. I believe it was either the first or second attack in combat.

Snaek
SI Staff Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Snaek » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:48 pm

This is an issue not just with shield block but all defensive skills due to the way the defense is substituted for the attack. I think it's something we'll be able to address over the summer when we go through all the skills to finalize them for the relaunch.

Edited to add: We don't usually show the damage inflicted to anyone outside the target being damaged, but during this closed beta time we turn it on sometimes to monitor tweaks to combat.

Sea Worthy
Citizen of Archai

Post by Sea Worthy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:15 pm

I see I see! Hopefully it's something that can get sorted out, it's an awkward break in combat. Thanks for the reply!