Stranger Danger

Comment on the latest changes, State of the Isles addresses, game suggestions, or anything else you'd like to share with the creators and designers of Shattered Isles!
The Deeps
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 2

Stranger Danger

Post by The Deeps » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 pm

Saw this room emote in Pearl and I feel like it's inviting action. Is it supposed to be attached to a scenario happening in the world?
A frail-limbed young girl sobs quietly as she runs through the crowd, chased by a portly, paternal-looking man.

Snaek
SI Staff Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stranger Danger

Post by Snaek » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:08 pm

I don't recall seeing that one before but then we have hundreds of them that fire at low rates around the city to give it a more organic feel.

That said, I don't particularly like that emote and will remove it asap.

The Deeps
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Deeps » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Cool. Thank you for taking a look!

Shadowbane
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Shadowbane » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:45 pm

That is probably the creepiest and most unsettling emote I've ever seen in this game.

Which is saying something, cause I've read some unsettling emotes.

Hierophant of Itzal

Honesty
Citizen of Archai

Post by Honesty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Hrm. I'm late. But I would like to add that, maybe instead of removing it entirely, to simply reword it?

Kinda like, Aladdin...a bread thief...

A frail-limbed urchin girl sobs as she frantically weaves through the crowd, chased by a portly merchant.

Shattered Mind
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Shattered Mind » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 pm

I see nothing wrong with that emote at all. It's description is obviously meant to imply it's her father or possibly grandfather etc. It just doesn't come right out and say that because, how would you know it is her father or grandfather? I saw that same emote and thought, "hey, there's an unhappy girl and her father wants to comfort her".

As for inviting action I would ask for whom and what perspective?

A dragon might see this and follow, looking for an afternoon snack should she become isolated.
A "good" character might want to jump in to defend this young girl from the assumed crime happening.
Indifferent characters well, they might not even glance that way. who cares.
Our less savory characters might see this as a chance to pilfer or murder and steal.

Interpret it however you want however, my opinion is that removing it because someone assumes the worst (which to me is placing real world morals and values into the game), is catering to those pushing political correctness.

I abhor political correctness.

Just sayin.

Swamp Ape
Citizen of Archai

Post by Swamp Ape » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am

I agree 100%. I see nothing wrong with this. To me it looks like a child that got in trouble and is running away to escape punishment from her father/grandfather.

Shadowbane
Citizen of Archai

Post by Shadowbane » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:18 pm

This is obviously an emote where a player's real life past experiences can present it in a bad light. I have been a victim in the past, so I can see how it's creepy and unsettling. I can also understand how those who haven't had such experiences don't see anything wrong with it.

I think rewriting it could give us all a happy medium. Changing the description of the girl would certainly make it better (instead of sobbing quietly, maybe she's stomping off in a huff? Does she need to be frail-looking?).

Shattered Mind
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Shattered Mind » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 am

I can understand how it could be creepy and even unnerving and scary, especially to someone who has had a bad experience. However, everyone could probably come up with some bad experience they could relate in some way into the game. For example, maybe a close family member drank themself to death and seeing drunks sleeping/passed out in the streets or people passing out from drinking could cause negative memories/emotions to surface. Well, we wouldn't, and shouldn't, remove all alcohol and/or drunks etc from the game or try to hide this in the game. The fact is there are "frail" looking children in the world and they do at times cry and I'm sure they do so sometimes while trying to get away people, family or otherwise. This is life, and in life everyone has to learn to deal with it.

If we change something every time anyone has an issue with it because someone says it makes them uncomfortable or they don't like it then we are really establishing a "politcal correctness". This is a slippery slope we should do everything we can to avoid.

Staff will change it or not, as they see fit. In this game they are the "Gods". I will simply state I disagree that it should be changed or that it even needs to be changed.

Shadowbane
Citizen of Archai

Post by Shadowbane » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:38 am

I don't think it's establishing any political correctness. It's respecting the trauma a player may have experienced in their life and not surprising them with a room emote they aren't prepared for. We can avoid most RP situations that make us unhappy, but you can't escape a room emote before it's already hit you (unless, in this case, you learn about it before it ambushes you and potentially causes you to relive an unpleasant event).

There's nothing wrong with changing something. The cats thing was silly, cause now we don't have cat mobs we can interact with anymore. But with our population struggling, and no one can tell me it isn't struggling, I think it's reasonable to make players who do give us a chance comfortable when it comes to things like, you know, sexual assault and abuse of a child. There's a lot of social and political and religious issues we can tackle in this game, like religious and racial rights or the treatment of certain classes and professions or even an oppressive government, removing or rewriting the suggestion of one is not going to make us overly PC like you seem to think. I try to believe we're all a bit more reasonable than that.