To Snaek & Staff (Communication)

Comment on the latest changes, State of the Isles addresses, game suggestions, or anything else you'd like to share with the creators and designers of Shattered Isles!

Add In Character Tell

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 8

Honesty
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 3

To Snaek & Staff (Communication)

Post by Honesty » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:12 pm

To Snaek (& current Staff),

How They Rolls
  • Originally, I had made assumptions about the Messageboards. I noticed that it generally functions as an In-Game mechanic for communication. Functioning primarily as an Open Board, and link to corresponding Message Boards In-Game. A way to post notices, advertise, and make requests in a way that doesn't require the playerbase to physically log into the game. Despite this medium being an external tool, rather than an internal, for player-to-player contact. That is indeed a positive aspect.

Issues occur here, as most players are not prone to visit the forums on a daily basis. Opting instead to quickly dive into the game. Generally, in order to take advantage, one has to review the forum boards routinely. Not many people do anymore, as I can tell.

This applies to Private Messages as well, as it does not appear to be common practice in checking them. I've attempted to PM quite a few members, even those who appear active to a degree (and who have PM open). Those messages still remain within the Outbox, officially unread.

I'm not definite about the activity of The Isle's Facebook, but messages are placed there on occasion.
Its Small But Its There
  • While the playerbase is small, I've little concerns on that. Though a smaller base means fewer VOTES on sites that advertise the Mud, most larger Muds seem to get top billing when vote rankings are involved, which could be due to shrewd practices leading to unfair advantages, but I myself am not one to jump to accusations.

From the forum, I see quiet a few creative and original individuals. I am not sure what sort of dream or hope they may be clinging to, exactly. But I, for one, can tell you that this MUD cannot exist without them. Otherwise, well...
How we Commune
  • There is a bit that is not making sense for me. It is true that the forum is used as a notice for most exchanges, but for general engagement with other players our means of engagement are utterly lacking. The MUD itself is quite large. And while it may be difficult to explore the game's surroundings, in its entirety, it's easy for one to feel lost and confused. One may find oneself wanting in this instance as if you ARE lost ICly, or in some ways, you're traveling a long distance, there is the feeling of isolation.

You can always ask for the most commonly populated locations, but at the same time, you're out exploring, or hunting and gathering on your own. Because YOU want to make PROGRESS on your character.

Now we're online with others. The WhoList is populated. But you don't want to disturb your progress, nor would you want to disturb someone else's in turn. Additionally, a player might find themselves wanting to hunt together at that moment with that person (term used ICly, EI: I sensed you a moment ago, how have you been, fren?). Something as simple as getting a drink, or inviting someone having an evening chat. Spur of the moment sort of stuff.

It's understandable if you haven't seen a friend person in a while, or if I'm making orders to a local Blacksmith.
A Useful Suggestion
  • I am proposing the complete removal of the OC Tell Channel, and/or the inclusion of an IC Tell Channel. This devoid of Class mechanics (removing the requirements of being a mage). I understand Shattered Isles has gone through a few changes and is likely making attempts to regain what was once lost. At the same time, I understand that a MUD this big, with so much potential and so very little players, makes enjoyment difficult.

When I'm feeling a little lonely or a little curious, I want to be able to reach out to the Wholist In-Character. Or, at least use it in an IC way where I'm not violating regulations. Whether I'm a Mage or not, we'd enjoy our interactions better if we could just reach out ICly to someone on the Wholist. Escapism is one of those things I just delve into. While Double Exp is understandably one of these events where everyone is buzzing around, outside of 2EXP, I've literally had to follow+chase+pouch passersby JUST to Roleplay with them.
    The 'tell' command is for communicating with staff members when they've contacted you. Players are advised not to initiate unsolicited out-of-character (OOC) communications of any kind. While OOC Tells between friends are acceptable, it is strongly discouraged in order to achieve complete character immersion. However, what is NOT acceptable is using this channel to communicate with others about future gaming plans, plots, or any dialog that would be considered in-character (IC) information.
    • This quotation is copied from the Player Conduct Policy. In its stead, I'm making the proposition of an In-Game Channel we CAN communicate in-character information.

Lately, I've been getting help OOCing with Bihi through tells. I'd like an IC Tell so I can RP with him at a distance (cause I get lost a lot)

Overall I'll close by saying that my MUDing experience as a player is...lengthy. I've been a builder for ZeldaMUD, Dark and Shattered Lands and StarWars Equinox. All Roleplay Enforced, especially. A player for most of them, and I've done a LOT of bar hopping. RP MUDs, as a majority, have adhered a form of 'device' required to communicate with the world, this is the first I've played lacking a convenient means of far-away IC communicating in an In-Game Manner. An IC Tell Channel (that everyone can use) has always been a staple. And that is what I am proposing.

You may call it whatever you like ICly, honestly:
    Telepathy. Mindmelding. The Life Stream. Mind Crystal.
    Anything....A Universal Magic Communication Channel bestowed by the Gods.

Speaking of Crystal
    "Pearl City's Mind Crystal(s)" Stones that act as transmitters and recievers.
    Simply tap off, tap on. OR, put it in your pouch if you don't want to hear anything (will reveal location if hidden).

Sincerely;

Honesty,
Player of Fu (福) Chengshi (诚实)

Shattered Mind
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 2

Re: To Snaek & Staff (Communication)

Post by Shattered Mind » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:32 pm

The WHO list is strictly OOC and should not be used for IC information. When you login, although you, the player, know who is in game by using the WHO list, your character does not and should act accordingly.
The difficulty of communication, while it may feel hampering at times, is part of real life in the game. Also, there are already a couple different ways to communicate from a distance in an IC manner. These have their own limitations.

A permanent IC way for everyone to instantly communicate with anyone else in game at any time would simply be seriously abused.

Player of Lueghee

Honesty
Citizen of Archai

Post by Honesty » Sun May 27, 2018 8:43 am

Placing this here~♫
[OOC TELL] You tell Snaek, "Maybe its good timing. I sent you another email, I lost your first reply...and gave a little more detail."

[OOC TELL] Snaek tells you, "I'm always here, but my mind is usually in another window or twelve working on components of the game."

[OOC TELL] You tell Snaek, "And yet, here you are, yes."

[OOC TELL] You tell Snaek, "Lucky moi~."

[OOC TELL] You tell Snaek, "Its also late for me, so...I'm honestly not very conscious and will retire to bed in a minute."

[OOC TELL] Snaek tells you, "I got your email and read it. My first response essentially said we are reviewing some things regarding in game communication."

[OOC TELL] You tell Snaek, "What goes on during the reviewing process, if I may?"

[OOC TELL] Snaek tells you, "Mostly weighing player feedback versus our long term vision for the game."

[OOC TELL] You tell Snaek, "I wanted to tell Makoda I was fighting vampires...buuuut..."

[OOC TELL] Snaek tells you, "Your opinion has been noted and there's definitely room for improvement on that front. We're determining what approach we'll take to make that happen."

[OOC TELL] You tell Snaek, "I appreciate that. Honestly."

[OOC TELL] Snaek tells you, "It's not going to be an IC tell command that everyone can use though. I think there's several ways we can improve the think/contact command though so that more people have access to it."

[OOC TELL] You tell Snaek, "I'd rather just be able to access it, so I can get help, or talk to someone IC..."

RPGer
Conclave Representative
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPGer » Sun May 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Perhaps have sludge available in the academy alchemy shop?
When more folks are around there have been a larger number of mages to bump into and ask for assistance from too.

Eabos player

Morley Darkfire
Citizen of Archai

Post by Morley Darkfire » Sun May 27, 2018 3:53 pm

actually if they weren't waiting for the arcanist to be implemented for magic items, a good money sink would be a merchant that sold "scrying" crystals, or crystal balls that acted as an IC 'WHO' command. Just say it detects activity like motion so it doesn't detect sleeping people. Set it to number of charges that have to be recharged(repaired) at that shop or single use so have to buy several. set the cost really high to keep from being abused since it would be powerful IC. but sludge is also available in loot drops now, so not sure i would change that now i don't have to waste 600 coins per resist since it's still a "poison"

Honesty
Citizen of Archai

Post by Honesty » Sun May 27, 2018 7:45 pm

RPGer-Eabos player wrote:When more folks are around there have been a larger number of mages to bump into and ask for assistance from too.
My issue with that is if I'm in the field...far far away from towns or cities...and I really reaaaally need an assist.

Like that time I was surrounded by vampires or got stuck in the hobgoblin village. I had to OOC one of the Staff to warp me to an on-going event. I was lost and I would have probably continued to be lost for a good hour or so. That or just died out in the field. THAT is my problem with it.

Additionally, sometimes I get bored sitting around for 30 minutes NOT TALKING/RPING WITH ANYONE...
Morley Darkfire wrote:a good money sink would be a merchant that sold "scrying" crystals, or crystal balls that acted as an IC 'WHO' command. (or IC Tell command?) Set it to number of charges that have to be recharged at that shop. Set the cost really high to keep from being abused since it would be powerful IC.
I tip my hat. And I like you...you're cute.~♫

I'm honestly thinking that it takes a lot of mental energy to use. And that other players would notice, ICly, that you're using it. Kinda like...you physically wincing, releasing a sound, or your eyes/temple/cheeks glow.

Also, you have to sit still.

Shattered Mind
Citizen of Archai

Post by Shattered Mind » Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm just going to point to my first post again.

Also, for when you get lost there are lots of maps available. You just have to know where to find them.

Try some of these however, know that they are dated and may not be 100% accurate anymore:

http://shatteredisles.com/forums/viewto ... =Pearl+map

Have fun!

Morley Darkfire
Citizen of Archai

Post by Morley Darkfire » Sun May 27, 2018 10:42 pm

Honesty wrote: And I like you...you're cute.~♫
I get that a lot.

Depending on the client you use you can check out if there is a mapper. I use the mushclient one. But I need to tweak it some since it keeps adding new rooms everytime that useless carriage rolls by.

Snaek
SI Staff Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Snaek » Tue May 29, 2018 7:11 pm

I officially cast my vote against an IC tell today and I'll explain why, but I want to first say I understand completely why you want this. Big world and small playerbase makes it difficult to find others. We've been extremely lenient about the use of the OOC Tell command because of this. That said, one of the key pillars of this game is providing an immersive environment without many of the distractions similar games have. We've definitely made adjustments over the years that do break that immersion but we weigh decisions like that heavily to make sure it is best for the game as a whole. That doesn't always mean best for the game right now though as we have, rather I have, a bigger picture to think about as well.

As far as IC communication goes, there is a much bigger picture. We expanded the THINK/CONTACT command to non-mages as a result of IC efforts by the players to create a service that allows players to communicate across long distances. Because of the ongoing wyvern encounters at that time, this was introduced as the gray sludge that is sold in shops today. It started out at a much higher cost than it is now like all things do. Later it was added to apothecary which can currently be learned by assassins and in the future, arcanists. There is a high probability diviners will also have a telepathy ability though I couldn't say today if that would be a spell or enchantment. Most recently gray sludge was added to the treasure system and it will also be added to the academy in the form of a quest that can be used to better explain the THINK command. In addition to mages, elemental dragons can also cast a telepathy spell. We hope to one day introduce wyverns as a playable race which would have advanced telepathy abilities, and we have a vacant slot for a future race that will likely have a latent telepathy power as well. Both of those are dependent on a new ability set that we have not yet started to build.

If you add all this together then I think telepathy will be something everyone will have access to but still remain a special tool for those who can do so by class or naturally. At that point I probably would remove it from shops since everyone could do quests or get it from hunting. And to stay in line with our core values, we accomplish this through means that can be completely explained ICly without taking away from one's immersion. We also have other methods of communication in different stages of development like the IC courier system. There's the forums as well, though I realize that's not always the best method for fast results. They are meant to be an extension of the game so you can keep things going even when you cannot be in game. They haven't really worked out that way however and with the amount of bots we have to deal with on a daily basis I sometimes wonder if they are even worth the effort, but I digress.

I hope this paints a better picture of what we already have, what we are adding, and what we plan to add. Some of these things were already in the works, others were added as a result of your feedback. Thanks to all who took the time to provide their input.