Cover Shot -> Called Shot

Discuss your favorite races, ask the questions you've always wondered about, or just follow along in the conversation. This is the place for everything that is Shattered Isles. Keep your debates civil. Trolls will be executed on sight.
Snaek
SI Staff Member
Posts in topic: 2

Cover Shot -> Called Shot

Post by Snaek » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:51 pm

Scouts!

Seems I am calling your names a lot lately. Some of you are likely logging in to find Called Shot in place of your Cover Shot. Here's the scoop:

The skill is the same in that your uses and levels have not changed. I had not intended yet to go live with this but when I slipped in a fix for Glassblowing last night I dropped this in by accident. The reason for the change is the continued attempts to make a skill that requires hiding work in a group combat system, which you all know by now doesn't want to work. I've had to weigh the usefulness of the skill against the class and in the end I thought it was better to move away from duplicating what Thieves and Assassins have in Shadow Strike. A Scout, while still a rogue, is not the same as these other two classes. They've picked up shadowy skills that are similar, but the class is much broader. A scout is more likely to be in a group hunt than a thief or assassin. More likely to showcase their skills rather than conceal them from view. Because of the problems we're having it is not feasible to continue down this road when it only causes issues.

In comes Called Shot. It is by no means complete, but the idea is there for testing. Instead of requiring hiding and being out of combat, it is now a targeted shot (not to the degree of targeting a body part, although we hope to achieve that one day) that has a hidden AR bonus based on your strength and level that gives you an increased chance of hitting your target. In exchange, the skill uses more stamina and takes longer than a regular shot. It also has a small damage increase that also goes up over time. Nothing to the degree of Backstab, but in a group hunting session this allows a scout to add to the fight if they are not quite up to the level of fighting, and lets them do so without having to leave the group or hide. In the long run, this is a skill that would require range to use. A tactic we have not yet introduced to the game.

So take it for a spin and leave your feedback IG. Your old Cover Shot is not lost should things not play out as we had hoped. An updated helpfile will follow after more testing. The shortcut command of CS still works.

Also, we updated shop bows to have a more consistent load capacity. Simple bows, slingshots, and blowguns are being changed to hold 3 arrows before needing to reload. More complex shop bows hold 5, and custom/peddle bows hold 10. If you find yourself still with a bow that holds 1 (2) or 100, please assist and we will get around to fixing it for you. By doing this we are eliminating the double quiver capacity issue.

ditchhook
Citizen of Archai

Re: Cover Shot -> Called Shot

Post by ditchhook » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Should my character have both "cover shot" and "called shot" at this stage of game development? I do miss "cover shot". I thought it to be a very good simulation of a sniper situation.

Bihi

ditchhook
Citizen of Archai

Post by ditchhook » Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 pm

First I want to say I really miss Cover Shot. It had an elegance and was different enough that it demanded a choice of strategy, and it had a reliance on another skill that made it more complex.

So now I just always use Called Shot in every circumstance. (Maybe I shouldn't be, but I don't have any indication about why and when I should be using it.) I don't know if it really is any benefit in the long run: I do more damage, but I seldom take anything down in one shot, so the longer time delay makes me think the net effect is a wash: on average it takes me so much time and stamina to take down a target. (However, if I use it I get experience for both my ranged skill and the specific called shot skill.) That-- of course-- is boring. I don't know much about balance and all that, but Cover Shot was simply more fun, demanded more thinking and strategy on my part, and given some substantial luck, I might be able to use it to do substantial damage to a superior opponent before my cover was "blown." It was a high risk, high reward alternate approach I could employ.

Bihi

Snaek
SI Staff Member

Post by Snaek » Fri May 04, 2018 2:27 pm

I moved this topic from announcements to a more appropriate place for keeping the conversation going.