Shield Block

Discuss your favorite races, ask the questions you've always wondered about, or just follow along in the conversation. This is the place for everything that is Shattered Isles. Keep your debates civil. Trolls will be executed on sight.
Bocon Lampor
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Shield Block

Post by Bocon Lampor » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Basically everything caps early, other than your AR/DR progression, which doesn't mean much when compared to your religious level. RL has the absolute most impact on your combat ability vs something or someone else. Most spells cap at 40, most damage does as well. I'm guessing FA health returns do too. There are very few things that are actually worth leveling past level 40, at least right now. I mean, the best way to get max RL right now is to just spam every skill you have to level 30-40 anyways. The payout for your dedication of getting a skill over those level is sad at best.

Forhekset
Citizen of Archai

Post by Forhekset » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Tokens? What? Tell me moar!

Okay, so to recap, say I want to get better than steel armor, my understanding is as follows, I forage until I get mining. Then I mine until I unlock black smithing. Then I smith until I unlock smelting. Then I mine until I'm high enough level to find the materials, smelt them into ingots until I have 100 ingots of the material, THEN I can talk to a merchant about purchasing my armor, and its 10x the weight of the materials in gold?

Yes?

Bocon Lampor
Citizen of Archai

Post by Bocon Lampor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:50 am

You can win tokens that you can redeem at some point in time from playing in the OOC games. You can find the minerals no matter what level your mining is at, it's all about what mine has them in it. But the rest is basically correct. You can also get armor for hilariously low prices from peddles, since no one needs it and most people already have near max armor that never breaks. I would honestly just hit up the smelters IG instead of trying to start it, save yourself a ton of time. They probably charge reasonable prices.

Snaek
SI Staff Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Snaek » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:00 am

I would honestly just hit up the smelters IG instead of trying to start it, save yourself a ton of time. They probably charge reasonable prices.
We call this roleplaying. It's kind of the point of the game. Give it a try sometime.

Bocon Lampor
Citizen of Archai

Post by Bocon Lampor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:03 am

Snaek wrote:
I would honestly just hit up the smelters IG instead of trying to start it, save yourself a ton of time. They probably charge reasonable prices.
We call this roleplaying. It's kind of the point of the game. Give it a try sometime.
It HAS to be the point of the game....cause it sure isn't the mechanics or staff interaction that makes it playable.
Last edited by Bocon Lampor on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forhekset
Citizen of Archai

Post by Forhekset » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:53 am

Oh whoa. So the mines themselves dictate the material, or groups of materials I'm assuming, based on my almost NINE levels of mine /flexes, not necessarily skill level. That's good to know.

zheepel
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 1

Post by zheepel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:33 pm

You'll soon get a skill that will allow you to search nearby areas for resources. It will help tremendously when attempting to find specific materials, and allow you to determine where resources reside.

Bocon Lampor
Citizen of Archai

Post by Bocon Lampor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 pm

zheepel wrote:You'll soon get a skill that will allow you to search nearby areas for resources. It will help tremendously when attempting to find specific materials, and allow you to determine where resources reside.
+1 for this. It's extremely helpful and worth using all the time, when the timer in your room swaps resources.

Creon
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Creon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Ultimately the game from a mechanical and content standpoimt can not reasonably scale every skill to 100.

Pertaining to shield block I believe it would be beneficial to the game to add capped % success different for each class. It makes sense from both a roleplay and mechanical perspective.

I have mentioned this before but certain skills should offer a tangible reward for hitting landmarks in skill progression where reasonable progression per level can not be implemented.

Specifically for shield block I would say rewards at 50 and 100 are good setpoints. The rewards should be unique for the class. IE Templars may see a success cap increase of 5% addative for each landmark. Warriors could have a delay reduction for their successful defense checks.

Regarding these special landmarks it would also give you a option to make classes more unique. Ie while Assassins would not recieve a defensive landmark, the class could recieve armor penetration bonus for close combat.

I think implementing perks inside of skill lines would make balancing a lot more simple. Instead of having to implement a lot of skills to make everything feel balanced. Ie you could give warriors a genrous amount of perks but forgo giving them a wide range of skills as a tradeoff.

Bocon Lampor
Citizen of Archai

Post by Bocon Lampor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:09 am

Creon wrote:Ultimately the game from a mechanical and content standpoimt can not reasonably scale every skill to 100.

Pertaining to shield block I believe it would be beneficial to the game to add capped % success different for each class. It makes sense from both a roleplay and mechanical perspective.

I have mentioned this before but certain skills should offer a tangible reward for hitting landmarks in skill progression where reasonable progression per level can not be implemented.

Specifically for shield block I would say rewards at 50 and 100 are good setpoints. The rewards should be unique for the class. IE Templars may see a success cap increase of 5% addative for each landmark. Warriors could have a delay reduction for their successful defense checks.

Regarding these special landmarks it would also give you a option to make classes more unique. Ie while Assassins would not recieve a defensive landmark, the class could recieve armor penetration bonus for close combat.

I think implementing perks inside of skill lines would make balancing a lot more simple. Instead of having to implement a lot of skills to make everything feel balanced. Ie you could give warriors a genrous amount of perks but forgo giving them a wide range of skills as a tradeoff.
I like this idea too.