Are We Mice, or Are we Men?

Discuss your favorite races, ask the questions you've always wondered about, or just follow along in the conversation. This is the place for everything that is Shattered Isles. Keep your debates civil. Trolls will be executed on sight.
Honesty
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 3

Are We Mice, or Are we Men?

Post by Honesty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm

If the animal-like races exist, should the natural animals, our none-sentient counter-parts, not exist?

If the Vukasins exist, should there be natural dogs or natural wolves?

If the Gavial exist, should there be natural lizards or natural crocodiles?

If the Argali, or centaur races exist, should our natural goats, rams, horses, bulls and sheep?

If the Bolinau exist, should there be otters?

Curious, I am. While I'm sure there is no sane rationale as to why the animals we're familiar with shouldn't exist alongside the denizens of Archai, I do wonder if they should, and if not, should they be replaced with creatures created just for the world of Archai. For example, in Dragon Age, they have the Druffalo, Gurn, Bronto (rhino), Halla (stag), Nug and Bogfishers. Their take on fantasy creatures, to say the least. But at the same time creatures such as dogs, Horses, Ram and much of our natural world exists.

I am really only asking a general opinion, or thoughts on it. If I'm a Gavial, I don't think I'd take too kindly on anyone calling me a lizard. Or if you and I are both Bolinau, and we see otter pelts, it would be hard to assume how we should respond, in kind. Or perhaps if you're a middle-aged Argali, how should you feel about being called an Old Goat?

Just a thought.

Signed in loopy, childish flourishes, because I took my crazy pills...

Creon
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are We Mice, or Are we Men?

Post by Creon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Just play it how you want gavials are known for being difficult to get along with. They are aggressive by nature, they dont randomly attack people, but they certainly arent afraid to let someone know they irritate them.

Honesty
Citizen of Archai

Post by Honesty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 pm

Creon wrote:Just play it how you want
Well, you see that is the reason I ask, or why I'm seeking several if not more opinions.
I don't exactly KNOW how to go about it in Shattered Isles. The only beast race I've ever RP'd in any MUD was a Centaur...

I just figured I'd start a conversation on the topic, honestly...

Forhekset
Citizen of Archai

Post by Forhekset » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:38 am

Yeah. This thing. Do the creatures, our beast creatures are based-on, exist in the world? Likely. Yeah. Also, would, "old-goat", "lizard", and the like be considered racial slurs? ANd how powerful? Do they even care?

CONFLIIIIICT! RAWRRRRRRR!

Xiija
Citizen of Archai

Post by Xiija » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:00 am

We call people by those names in RL, why not here?
Ex.
...he is an old goat, she is foxy, etc..
although not many humans get called chimp, gorilla, or orangutan heh :P

X͕̝̦̹̻̟ͧ̃̃̓I͕͍̫͍̞ͨ̆̒ͯ̏̿͑I͖̹̮̬̬͚̬͈ͧͬ̄̚J̙̩̗̙̹ͥ͂̆ͨ̒Ạ̖̻͈̠̣̦̖ͤ̋̽ͨͣ ̠̳͉̻̙̙̹̝͖ͮ͛̔̈ͬA̱͖̐̋̒̊ͬ̂ͫN̠͍̝̰͙̼ͦ̀͊͆͗̾ͫZ̘̞̒͐͊U͓̫ͭͨ́ͤ̇̎̂ͮͅ

CoralScribe
Citizen of Archai

Post by CoralScribe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Connotation vs. Denotation.

Denotation is the literal definition - to call a gavial a lizard would be denotative and correct: a gavial is functionally a lizard. However, Connotation is what the word suggests, either idea or feeling, in addition to this. For example, if we call someone a lizard in real life, we might mean the connotation of them being cold-blooded, ruthless, etc. Interestingly enough, connotation can be global (that is a lot of people share that particular emotion or feeling about the word) or local (with as few people as just yourself feeling a certain way about a word). As a result, how your character chooses to feel about the word is fully within your purview, since there hasn't been a lot of discussion on racial slurs for beastpeople up to this point.

Of course, I can give my own suggestion: let the human-based connotations to guide you. Using Xiija's expressions, think about the intent. If you call someone foxy, you suggest that they are beautiful or clever; that's pretty positive, if potentially cat-call-y. If you call someone an old goat, the connotation is that they are stubborn, grumpy, or combative; in this case, it could be seen negatively. Of course, maybe argali from your tribe value being stubborn and unyielding - if so, this could be seen as a positive.

Lots of ways to play with this, so enjoy!

......./\.......
____/__\____
..../......\.....

**The missive is marked with a crossed-out wave**

Geel
Citizen of Archai

Post by Geel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Humans are highly evolved primates. Lots of other kinds of primates exist in the world

Gavial are highly (don't say it!) evolved reptiles. Why wouldn't lots of other reptiles exist in this world? Same strikes me as true for the rest.

If I addressed you as "Hey there human!" or "Hey there primate!" would it offend you? Not terribly common but I don't see why it would. And I certainly address people as "Hey there man!" etc.

For my part, Geel does not mind in the least being addressed as Lizard and often addresses others based on their race.

Honesty
Citizen of Archai

Post by Honesty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 pm

I do like where this is going. Pardon me, I've had to work two late shifts.

I do wonder, however, what it is like to have versions of you just waltzing around. There are dogs, wolves, and smaller lizards, otters and I do wonder how the bipedal races that oddly resemble them take to their existence. How should you feel about it? Should you feel disgusted, angry, or be insulted in some way? How should you interact with them, because if you're going to be out there in the wilderness, or in the city, there is no avoiding it?

When you're out hunting you're bound to cross these animals no matter what race you are. So..do you still eat them? Skin them?