Amulets?

Discuss your favorite races, ask the questions you've always wondered about, or just follow along in the conversation. This is the place for everything that is Shattered Isles. Keep your debates civil. Trolls will be executed on sight.
ditchhook
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 3

Amulets?

Post by ditchhook » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi all,

Do amulets have any hidden or magical powers in our fantasy world? I only ask because in the real world dictionaries amulets are defined as objects with magical powers.

Bihi

Belanna
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Amulets?

Post by Belanna » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 pm

I've seen different cloths and jewelry that are enchanted so I would say yes. But just an amulet by its' self, no. Not without it being enchanted some how. You might have one and not even know it unless you looked the right way for its effects.

Belanna of House Kojin, Priestess of Lord Pyrous

Xiija
Citizen of Archai

Post by Xiija » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 am

Just Rp it?
Xii is always rubbin her talisman or fetish when she senses evil, or wants to curse someone :P

X͕̝̦̹̻̟ͧ̃̃̓I͕͍̫͍̞ͨ̆̒ͯ̏̿͑I͖̹̮̬̬͚̬͈ͧͬ̄̚J̙̩̗̙̹ͥ͂̆ͨ̒Ạ̖̻͈̠̣̦̖ͤ̋̽ͨͣ ̠̳͉̻̙̙̹̝͖ͮ͛̔̈ͬA̱͖̐̋̒̊ͬ̂ͫN̠͍̝̰͙̼ͦ̀͊͆͗̾ͫZ̘̞̒͐͊U͓̫ͭͨ́ͤ̇̎̂ͮͅ

ditchhook
Citizen of Archai

Post by ditchhook » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:56 pm

Xiija wrote:Just Rp it?
Xii is always rubbin her talisman or fetish when she senses evil, or wants to curse someone :P
You are contending then that they are merely a role-play prop.

Because this is a fantasy world that includes lots of (coded) magic, and any "amulet" is defined as something that has magical qualities, I would say the only reasonable conclusion a player can make is that they are magical: that they have some coded impact on a character's interaction with the world.

And yet I strongly suspect they indeed are merely role-play props-- and do not in any way have coded effects on a character, except to fill a wear-slot. But I hate to spread misinformation without asking for guidance first.

My character can make (and therefore sell and trade) amulets, and I wish to give (especially new players) accurate information on their properties when asked, or at least direct them to a forum thread where it is discussed. I really want to avoid any circumstance where my character might be perceived as taking advantage of another character using my (the player's) superior knowledge of how the game is coded. I suspect strongly that the amulets my character can create are not (codedly)
magical, but because the language implies otherwise, the perception of shenanagans on my part is possible.

Bihi

Shattered Mind
Citizen of Archai

Post by Shattered Mind » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi Bihi,

There is a character class for those who may imbue magical abilities onto items such as wands and amulets. They are called Arcanists. Unfortunately, the class is not currently available. To the best of my knowledge they will become available "soon™".

I really do hope they get implemented as I fully plan to roll-one up.

Therefore, I do not believe simply crafting a wand or amulet means it already has any magical properties. You would need an arcanist to do that. :)

The strings behind Lueghee

ditchhook
Citizen of Archai

Post by ditchhook » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:46 pm

Shattered Mind wrote:Hi Bihi,

There is a character class for those who may imbue magical abilities onto items such as wands and amulets. They are called Arcanists. Unfortunately, the class is not currently available. To the best of my knowledge they will become available "soon™".
Okay. Thanks!

Bihi