Understanding Spells

Discuss your favorite races, ask the questions you've always wondered about, or just follow along in the conversation. This is the place for everything that is Shattered Isles. Keep your debates civil. Trolls will be executed on sight.
Sea Worthy
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 2

Understanding Spells

Post by Sea Worthy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:52 pm

I have a few questions about spells, maybe I could get some theories or solid info on a few of these...

1: What exactly does leveling a spell do for me? I'll separate this question into Offensive, Defensive, and Utility.
Offensive:
Reduced chance of failure/fizzle?
More difficult to resist?
More damage? Increased crit damage? Wider/Narrower range of damage?
Something else?
Defensive:
In regard to shield spells - more DR? When does it cap, and when it does cap, what's the point in continuing to level it?
In regard to wall spells - More DR? Wider/Narrower range of DR buff? How will I know when it's capped?
In regard to armor spells - more armor? How will I know when it is capped? Does it stack with physical armor damage reduction?
Increased length of spells?
Utility:
Increased length of spells (Tele, gills, portal)?
Something else?

2: Does the third tier spell ever do more damage than the second tier spell? Currently my third tier is a few levels higher than my second tier and doing about half the damage of my second tier spell, and about the same if not a few points less damage than my first tier spell. I've attempted to use it on different targets to see if it was the pierce vs blunt thing... maybe all NPCs are more resistant to pierce damage?

3: I see it suggested a few years ago to improve the visual difference between water blast and water globe, as they have very similar spell texts. In the same thread, it appears the wording for Ice Daggers was significantly improved and implemented. Is there any plan to revisit the visuals for the first two spells? What exactly IS the difference between these two spells? They both appear to be blunt, water based magic spells and do very similar damage in the level ~10 range.

Any other pointers towards playing a mage would be appreciated as well!

Thanks all

Shadowbane
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Understanding Spells

Post by Shadowbane » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:42 pm

I don't play mages, so someone who does can correct me, but I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

The chances of your target resisting your damage spell goes down as the spell itself gets leveled up. It does reach a cap in regards to resists, as there's still a chance a spell can be resisted no matter what the level is, but it would be low. Same goes for defensive and utility spells. If I remember correctly, as your spell levels up and hits the damage or defense cap, that number range is supposed to tighten a bit so you don't have a big fluctuation in numbers. . I don't think level increases length of spells, as I don't really notice a difference in the length of prayers. I wish I could tell you when they would be capped, but I don't have an answer for that.

Regarding your three damage spells, I believe the higher tier spells take longer to reach their cap and the first one hits the cap earlier. That would explain why your newer spells seem to do less damage currently, because they haven't hit their peak. I want to say that the differing damage types is to account for armor (I think piercing does more damage through armor? Don't quote me, it could very well be blunt damage instead).

Hierophant of Itzal

Sea Worthy
Citizen of Archai
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Understanding Spells

Post by Sea Worthy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:03 am

Thank you for taking a crack at it! I think that does help me to understand (assuming you're right!) ;)
If anyone has more to add, that would be great.