1/22/19 Update

Information regarding the latest updates to Shattered Isles. A complete list can be viewed in game from the account menu and also by using the UPDATES command.
Snaek
SI Staff Member
Posts in topic: 2

1/22/19 Update

Post by Snaek » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 am

Howdy all,

Typically I would have already written a new year post by now, outlining a tentative plan of what's in store for the year to come. However this past year has been anything but typical. Gaming led me to creating Shattered Isles and that in turn led me to going back to college so I could accomplish all the plans I had for the game. For the past two years I have been going full-time while working, leaving very little spare time for SI. This spring I will have completed the first half of this plan and will be scaling back to part-time upon transferring in the fall. I've been rushing to get this behind me because there's a world of people out there counting on me to see this through to the end and I aim to do just that. In a perfect world, I would have an active staff that ran things while I did all this but it's hard to ask any of our great staff members to carry that burden by themselves. I've stayed in contact with everyone and when the time comes I know I can count on them all to come back because we all love creating.

That said, I have been putting together a plan for the next steps for Shattered Isles. The full details of that are for another post, but since I am doing a small update tonight with the ending of double uses, I figured it was a good time to give a broader update on things. I have been speaking with Austere and we've been breaking down the remaining open projects and which ones should be completed versus those that should be scrapped. I believe we have a good understanding of what works best at this point and how we want to approach things going forward. No matter what we decide, I want to reassure everyone that there is no current path forward that would require a player wipe. I think it would be in your best interest to start over with a new character when that time comes, but I won't be taking any of yours from you. You've earned your place in the history books of SI. I can't guarantee however that your legacy players will be fully up to date with all the changes that have been and will be made.

We have a date in mind for launching the game officially and will be announcing that when we go further into the details of what can be expected. We've always maintained Shattered Isles as a living world that is always changing, but in a technical sense we've been somewhere between an alpha and beta developmental stage for years. That won't change, but there will be no official staff support for live events until that launch date. The calendar will continue to list important dates as it has in the past and the players are of course welcome to organize their own events for these dates, but we won't be dedicating any staff to them in the interim. This is basically making official what has been the case for the better part of 2018. We've been here before but we've also learned from those past attempts.

To get things started, I am uploading a small patch with tonight's reboot. This will bring an end to the current double use session. I will be activating double uses more this year to attempt to make up for the lack of live events, but I certainly understand those of you who are waiting for something more before you log in. The biggest addition going in with tonight's update is the implementation of languages. There is not a lot of documentation to go with this update, but to start we are adding all the race languages. All newly created players will have these automatically. I don't recall if it'll carry over to all existing characters or not, but if it doesn't you can assist from your character AFTER checking your LANGUAGES command to make sure you don't already have them. We will get to your assists in the order in which they are received, as time allows.

I tackled some longstanding bugs within speech while working on languages, but I think the bug fix that will be appreciated the most is the one that addresses looking into neighboring rooms and knowing when someone is hidden. This was a fun bug to revisit. The codebase we use didn't have the ability to look into neighboring rooms, so that's something that was added forever ago. Looking back at that code now after several programming classes under my belt, it's hard to believe how far we've come. You can look forward to many more bugs being revisited with my newfound powers in the near future.

Lastly, I wanted to let everyone know that I have renewed our hosting for all of 2019! Thank you to our patrons at Patreon who made that possible. The remaining accumulated funds will go towards a server upgrade in April when we renew the domains and switch over to our own mail server. Looking forward to many more exciting updates in the coming months.

Snaek
SI Staff Member
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 1/22/19 Update

Post by Snaek » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:35 am

Update on the update:

Not all of the language components made it through on the first pass. There will be another reset on Friday, 1/25, to install the rest.