Service Updates

Information regarding the latest updates to Shattered Isles. A complete list can be viewed in game from the account menu and also by using the UPDATES command.
Snaek
SI Staff Member
Posts in topic: 1

Service Updates

Post by Snaek » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

I feel like I've been in a war with hackers, when in reality the stuff I am seeing as a result of having more access and control over our game server is just what goes down across the internet on a daily basis. I used to think being a small game in the corner in the internet meant we don't have to worry about attacks. Why would anyone want anything we have? I've certainly learned otherwise over the years. Adding forums opened us up to bots that constantly try to register so they can post some links in the hopes that one of us will accidentally click it. Sadly they only need one for it to be a successful effort. Right now we don't even have new accounts allowed on the forums due to the flood of emails we would receive daily from these bots. We're looking at some new captcha options but most of the new stuff isn't compatible with the version of forums we use. The last time I tried to upgrade it turned into a hot mess, but I suppose that will have to happen sooner than later.

I cringe every time I look up an IP address that is trying to repeatedly connect to the game or website and see it's from China or Russia, and I hate that I immediately assume the worst. That shouldn't be my first thought when we have players from all over the world. Then I see the server log and all the attempts to find hidden scripts to run within the website. This is stuff I've been more progressively exposed to as we've moved from server to server and taken on a larger role in the back-end of the game's management.

I'm happy to report that we are far beyond any level of security we've ever had in the past. There are more systems in place to monitor and prevent malicious attacks and some old vulnerabilities have since been cleaned up. We've always backed up all player data to protect against the inevitable successful attack and have had plenty of experience in restoring the game, characters, and forum accounts. Sadly I don't see a situation in the foreseeable future where we (or any corner of the internet) are going to ever be 100% protected. Eventually the game will require full-time management over server security and you could argue it already does, but for now I will continue to make improvements to ensure your data is safe and the world is always stable for everyone to enjoy!